Mandatory formalities for entering Cuba

Last modified: June 1, 2024

All the necessary formalities to travel to Cuba (tourist stay)

Tourist Cards / For whom?

The tourist card is the name given to the Cuban visa for a tourist stay.

This compulsory card allows a stay of 90 days in Cuba (renewable once for another 90 days).

It is only for tourist stays. For family or work visas, please contact the Cuban embassy in your country of residence directly.

The tourist card issued by Novela is not valid if you arrive from the USA. In this case, you must contact the airline that flies from the USA to Cuba to purchase the tourist card from them.

Children and infants must also have a tourist card.

You must have your tourist card before departure, otherwise, you may be denied boarding by the airline.

Entry formalities to Cuba (Mandatory)

To enter Cuba, you must present a tourist card, which you can obtain from the Cuban embassy in your country or from certain travel agencies specializing in Cuba.

You must also have a passport valid for the duration of your stay, a return air ticket, and a medical insurance certificate, and be in compliance with the latest Cuban Covid-19 rules.


We strongly recommend that you get a Cuban SIM card to put in your phone for your trip, so you can access WhatsApp, make calls to Cuba, etc…

You must purchase it before your trip on and pick up your SIM card at Havana Airport T3 (where you pick up your luggage there is the Etecsa office).

Medical Insurance Certificate

This certificate is usually included in your credit card fee, so it is free. All you have to do is request it from your credit card company.

For VISA cards, you can request it at (in English or French).

For MASTERCARD cards, contact the telephone number on the back of your card.

Order your Cuba tourist card here.

back to top